Caravan mattress buying guide
Whether you're travelling Australia in a camper trailer or living in a caravan, you don't have to settle for a substandard sleep.
A good quality caravan double mattress is a worthy investment that will help you get a comfortable and restful sleep, wake up feeling refreshed and offer all the support your body needs.
If you're buying a mattress for your trailer for the first time, or replacing an old and worn-out one, follow our caravan mattress buying guide to find the bedding that's just right.
What types of caravan mattresses are there?
Caravan mattresses are similar to standard mattresses, with the exception that they're designed to fit into the tighter spaces of a mobile home without sacrificing comfort. The two main types are coil (spring) and foam mattresses.
- Coil mattresses are usually lighter and cheaper than foam, but they also wear out more quickly and offer less support.
- Memory foam mattresses absorb the sleeper's weight and adjust to their shape over time, for enhanced comfort and support. However, some people don't like their firmer feel.
- Latex foam mattresses can be more breathable than memory foam and are better for people with allergies as they don't attract dust mites, but they're generally more expensive.
How do I choose a comfortable mattress?
Everyone has their own preference when it comes to comfort, and it's important to have some idea of whether you prefer a firm, medium or soft mattress before you order one for your caravan.
If you're not sure, your sleeping position could suggest the type that's best for you. If you:
- Sleep on your back – a medium-firm mattress will help you sleep comfortably while giving your spine and neck the support they need.
- Sleep on your stomach – a firm mattress will help to keep your spine in alignment.
- Sleep on your side – a soft mattress will adapt to your body's contours for a more comfortable sleep.
How can I make sure it's safe?
If you or someone in your family has allergies, it's vital that you choose a caravan mattress that won't attract dust mites or hold allergens.
While a mattress cover and regular washing can keep bugs at bay, you should also look for mattresses that have been treated with antibacterial treatments and are made from materials approved by organisations such as the Australian Asthma Foundation.
How do I choose the right size?
One of the most important considerations when buying a caravan mattress is whether it will fit. Unlike buying a mattress at home, space is at a premium in caravans and camper trailers, and their layout can also be unsuitable for a standard mattress.
You don't have to sacrifice space when you choose custom made caravan mattresses from Clark Rubber. We've partnered with the mattress experts Slumberest to offer customised caravan double mattresses, twin mattresses and other styles in the exact dimensions you need. All our mattresses are made in Australia and have a 10-year warranty.
Download our product brochure to start designing your ideal caravan mattress and get a quote from your local Clark Rubber store.