How to have a chlorine free swimming poolBy Clark Rubber | 23rd December, 2020
Benefits of a chlorine-free swimming pool
Chlorine sanitisers help to keep your pool free of bacteria, but it can also be a source of eye or skin irritations for some swimmers. If you have sensitive skin or allergies and still want to enjoy the pool season, then this guide gives you easy steps to have a chlorine-free swimming pool with Saniteezy. Saniteezy is made from a special Biguanide formula and is designed for pool owners that want a clean, fresh pool without the odours and skin irritations that can be associated with Chlorine sanitising systems.
What you’ll need:
- Filtrite Crystal Clear Clarifier Pill (SKU# 49549)
- Filtrite Chlorine Remover (SKU# 35440)
- Filtrite Saniteezy Chlorine-Free Pool Sanitiser (e.g. SKU# 40279)
- Filtrite Ultimate Algaecide (SKU# 2931)
Do you have to put chlorine in a pool?
The good news is that chlorine is not the only chemical that can keep your pool water clean. If you need a chlorine-free pool due to asthma, sensitive skin or allergies, we’ve put together a guide on how to keep your pool still clean with other chemicals.
How to have a chlorine-free pool
1. Get your water professionally tested
Visit your nearest Clark Rubber store with a sample of pool water. The expert team can run this through a 60-second water test and provide a full report, identifying the levels of chemicals in your pool water and the treatment you may require to convert it to a chlorine-free pool.
Note: If your pool is green, first you will need to "shock dose" with chlorine to eradicate algae, then add the chlorine remover afterwards. Chlorine level must be 0 before moving to the next step.
Do not add Pool Sanitiser until all chlorine has been eliminated from the pool water.
2. Use chlorine remover
If your pool is already chlorinated, a chlorine remover such as Filtrite Chlorine Remover is an ideal solution to neutralise residual chlorine in the water.
3. Add Saniteezy Pool Sanitiser
Once you have removed the chlorine, a chlorine-free sanitiser, such as Saniteezy for pools, can be added to the water of a filtered pool to control the bacteria levels.
If you are filling a pool from scratch, just use Saniteezy sanitiser instead of chlorine-based products.
For best results, use 60 millilitres of Saniteezy Pool Sanitiser per 10,000 litres of water. Mix in a bucket and distribute throughout the pool.
After adding chlorine-free sanitiser, you may find the water goes cloudy. This is common and will dissipate within a day or two, leaving the water clear and safe for swimming.
4. Add an Copper-free algaecide
After 24 hours, add Filtrite Ultimate Algaecide at 80 ml per 10,000 litres of pool water. This will effectively kill and prevent black algae from reoccurring in any type of a pool, including saltwater pools, fountains and ponds. It offers a long-lasting solution that will greatly improve water clarity and help you achieve a chlorine free swimming pool.
5. Add a Crystal Clear Clarifying Pill
Firstly, ensure that the water balance is correct and the pH is maintained between 7.4 and 7.6. And then, add a Filtrite Crystal Clear Pill to Skimmer Box to improve water clarity even further.
6. Use Ultimate Oxyshock Non-chlorine shock tretament
To oxidise impurities and organic contaminants, and maintain optimum water clarity, you can also add a non-chlorine shock treatment such as Ultimate Oxyshock which compliments your Saniteezy pool sanitiser, to treat keep the contaminants in your water.
Use once per fortnight at 50gms per 10,000 litres
OR after heavy use OR if water appears cloudy
How often does a chlorine-free pool need to be maintained?
Now that you have set up a chlorine-free pool, it is important to regularly monitor sanitiser levels, topping them up when necessary.
- Ensure the Saniteezy Pool Sanitiser (Biguanide) levels are maintained according to directions on the bottle and have your water professionally tested at your local Clark Rubber store every 2 weeks to ensure sanitiser is within appropriate levels. Ensure that you tell your Clark Rubber store that your pool is sanitised with Saniteezy.
- Once a week, add 80 millilitres of algaecide for every 10,000 litres of water in your pool.
- Monitor the water’s pH balance and make adjustments to keep it between 7.4 and 7.6.
- Add a Crystal Clear Pool regularly (weekly during Summer), and do not add any chlorine or bromine products to your pool water.
We're here to help.
If you are unsure about the quality of your pool water, bring a sample into the nearest Clark Rubber store. With our free 60 second water test, our experts will test it to identify any chemical imbalances. If going chlorine-free is what you need, we will help you find the right products to achieve this.
Chlorine is not the only option for keeping your pool clean and safe. For more information on how you can set up a chlorine free pool, visit your local Clark Rubber store today.
Read more about how to keep your pool water sparkle.