The term “shocking you pool” refers simply giving your pool a heavy dose of chlorine or an oxidiser to rapidly sanitise your pool or spa water. The term “super-chlorination” may also be used to describe a heavy dose of chlorine treatment.
When the chlorine in your pool water interacts with contaminants such as dead skin, body sweat, urine and nitrogen it forms a by-product known as “Chloramines”; sometimes also referred to as “Combined” Chlorine.
Combined chlorine is bound and rendered ineffective as a sanitiser and only the “Free” chlorine is available to combat contaminants to keep the pool safe and sanitised.
The times when combined chlorine is at its highest is:
After heavy bather use such as pool parties
After pets and other animals and insects have entered the pool
After days of hot weather and after heavy rain
When the pool appears green or cloudy
You may notice a strong odour (often mistaken as chlorine) and irritating, uncomfortable water when chloramines have formed.
So when the combined chlorine levels in your pool are high, it is time to give your pool the SHOCK it needs to swiftly raise the Free chlorine levels in your pool.
Ultimate Oxyshock is another versatile product that is a must in your regular pool maintenance regime. This powerful oxidiser will treat the chloramine formation in your pool or spa to eliminate the organic contaminants such as sweat, urine and oil.
An oxidiser will quickly go to work on these contaminants and reduce the demand on the primary sanitiser to free it up for its main job of killing bacteria.
Its features are:
Rapid elimination of organic contaminants and chloramine odours
Does not increase total chlorine levels
Does not increase cyanuric acid levels
Ideal for use with Ionisers and Biguanide sanitisers
Ideal for regular shock treatments and use before a pool party
Swim in 15 minutes after treatment
How often should you shock your pool?
During your swimming season when the pool is getting frequent use and the weather is hot, you should always be prepared with shock products and it is recommended to treat your pool weekly and get your pool water regularly tested by a Clark Rubber pool professional.
After extreme heat or rain and higher bather use, your pool may require more regular treatment.